Monday, June 18, 2012

All That Remains

The following takes place in the movie Spider-Man 3. It is from Harry Osborne's point of view just moment before he makes a great sacrifice.

 Metal clanging. Snake hissing. A desperate cry for help. Mary-Jane. I look up, pushing myself to my knees. Peter sits a few feet away, doubled over, his wrists lashed to the bar above his head with some sort of... black webbing. Blood streaks his face, the skin nearly worn away over his cheekbones. One more strike would kill him. My head! I can hear the hissing again. I clamp my hands over my ears. Standing above Peter is a large beast clothed in a tight black suit, teeth bared, the muscles rippling in its arms. The frightening mask draws back, receding from the beast's face, another creature entirely. Blonde hair appears among the black strands of webbing, and its blue eyes gleam with something that could only be described as hunger. "Eddie," I hear Peter breathe, his voice barely above a whisper. "Don't do this." The words stumble free of his lips, fear a clear image on his pale face. The thing grins, shaking its head. "I like being bad," it hisses, and suddenly the black skin is crawling back over its face. The creature roars, rearing back, and for the first time I see the weapon that it holds in its claws: my glider. Lethal blades protrude from the front, aimed directly at my best friend's chest. The beast screams, and the blades begin their descent. Time slows as I rush towards them, my brain telling my feet to move faster, faster. I press on against the crushing ache in my head, reaching the enemy just before the cruel weapons can pierce Peter's chest. A block of pain suddenly catches me in the stomach, and my arms tense up, fists clenched tightly. I look at Peter, but his gaze does not meet mine. His mouth is open in shock, and I can see a tear beginning to slip down his cheek. But why---? A wave of agony washes over me and suddenly Peter is screaming, but I can't hear anything, and I'm lost, I'm lost, my eyes finally pausing on the blades protruding from my chest. The dark creature howls in rage. A flick of its wrist and I'm flying, quiet, my hands blindly grappling for something, anything, but my perception is off. I can no longer see. A metal bar catches me just above the mouth, the pain intensifying as I feel the bones in my nose shatter, blood exploding from my face. I am falling now, down a long, dark shaft in the unfinished building. My senses fail me, a crushing darkness clouding my vision. Harry! someone screams, and I want to answer her cry, want to reach out my hands and hold her, to kiss her, to whisper my love in her ear. I can feel her little fingers, my lips pressed aginst her neck, eyes flickering. I love you, I whisper. IloveyouIloveyouIloveyouIloveyou--- Then the ground comes up to meet me, and all that's left is the faint scent of strawberries.

 -----------

 Oh, so here's the thing. If you didn't understand the strawberry reference, I'll tell you it right now. When Peter and Harry are arguing earlier on in the movie, Harry teasingly touches his lips and tells Peter that when he kissed Mary-Jane it tasted like strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment